If you’re under 18, and wondering if you’re too young for plastic surgery, in most cases, the answer is that it depends. Your body is still changing and it’s good for you to grow into your own skin. But, there are several procedures you may want to consider if you’re already having issues:
Too big? Unbalanced? If you’re breasts aren’t in balance with the rest of your body or to each other, we have solutions for teenage girls and boys.
- Have overly large breast? Breast reduction surgery helps with the physical and emotional discomfort. The surgical goal is to create natural-looking results that are in proportion to your body.
- Although a small differences in breast size or shape is normal and may not cause an issue, obvious size and shape variances can present problems in finding clothing and with self-esteem. That’s when we suggest breast augmentation to repair severe asymmetry even for teenage girls.
- Teenage boys who suffer from Gynecomastia (i.e., man boobs), get subjected to harassment and bullying; they often become isolated from their peers out of fear of discovery. Fortunately, I perform a surgical procedure that targets the excess fat and breast tissue, giving the patient a more normal chest.
Breasts aren’t the only body parts that give trouble to teens. Most frequently, I see young patients who have nose or ear issues:
- That nose! Too big? Too hard to breathe because of a deviated septum? According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Rhinoplasty—surgery to reshape the nose—is the most common cosmetic surgery for teenagers.
- Kids can be very cruel and, if a child’s ears stick out, the teasing and jokes never end. Otoplasty—commonly referred to as ear surgery— is a surgical procedure that changes the shape, position or size of the ears. This is also effective if a teen has misshapen ears due to an injury or birth defect.
What can we do for you?
This is the first in a series of blogs I will be posting discussing surgical and nonsurgical options for patients as we age. After all, we all want to look are best…no matter how young or old we are.
Located in Chicago’s Lincoln Park, our offices are a warm, friendly and comfortable place to share your wants, needs and concerns.