Women often tell me they are unhappy with the size and shape of their breasts and want bigger ones. Breast augmentation involves using breast implants or fat transfer to increase the size of your breasts. This procedure can also restore breast volume lost after weight reduction or pregnancy, achieve a more rounded breast shape or improve natural breast size asymmetry.
Types of Breast Augmentation Implants
There are more options than ever before. Manufacturers occasionally introduce new styles and types of breast implants, so patients have additional options as these obtain FDA approval and become available.
Here are the types implants currently available:
- Saline breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. They provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel, and are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
- Structured saline breast implants contain an inner structure, and whose purpose is to make the implant feel more natural.
- Silicone breast implants, filled with silicone gel, feel more like natural breast tissue. If you choose silicone implants, you may need to visit your plastic surgeon regularly to make sure the implants are functioning properly. An ultrasound or MRI screening can assess the condition of breast implants. Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older.
- Gummy bear breast implants have a thicker and firmer consistency than traditional silicone gel implants. Placement of gummy bear implants requires a slightly longer incision in the skin.
- Round breast implants have a tendency to make breasts appear fuller than form-stable implants. Higher profile options can achieve even more projection.
- Tear-drop breast implants are designed to have more volume at the bottom than the top to create the most natural appearance.
Ask us for more information about Breast Augmentation, or click on this link to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Considering breast augmentation?
Please contact my patient coordinators at email@example.com to schedule your confidential consultation or call 312.757.4505
Have questions you want answered anonymously?
I am a frequent contributor to RealSelf.com. You’re welcome to post questions there for general responses. Obviously, I can’t give specific answers; for that, you’ll want to come in for a private and completely confidential appointment to address your particular issues.
Located in Chicago’s Lincoln Park, our offices are a warm, friendly and comfortable place to share your wants, needs and concerns.